Ecuador Travel Guide for Ecuador Travel, Galapagos travel, Galapagos tours, Ecuador hotels, Ecuador travel, Ecuador tours, Ecuador culture, Ecuador business, Ecuador spanish shools, Ecuador tour operators, Ecuador adventure sports, volunteer, Ecuador handicrafts, Ecuador national parks, Ecuador regions, Ecuador airlines, Ecuador artisan markets, Ecuador shopping and much more
Ecuador Travel Guide About EcuadorThe Best of Ecuador RegionsThe Best of Ecuador Travel TipsThe Best of Immigration & VisasThe Best of Ecuador best linksEcuador Travel Guide
Ecuador :: Immigration & Visas
Ecuador Travel Ecuador tours
Ecuador Hot Links
Vacation Rentals Ecuador
FREE Spanish Lessons!
Send Flowers to your beloved in Ecuador!
Ecuador online CLASSIFIEDS
Ecuador Properties "Real Estate"
Legal services
Ecuador Translation Services
Ecuador Travel Guide

Visa types:
Ecuador Travel Guide
All information given below regarding to visas, should be confirmed with the Ecuadorian consulate in your country. Visa policies and regulations change frequently.

The following information was adapted from the Ecuadorian Embassy in Washington and should be confirmed with the Ecuadorian Embassy or Consulate in your country.

We have included in this section as well, an updated list of all the embassies and consulates in Quito and Guayaquil for any additional information you may need while in Ecuador. If you're looking for an extension of your tourist visa see our useful tips > tourist visa extensions section.

There are two general categories of visas: Resident (immigrant) and Non-resident. Within each category, there are several other types of specific visas as described below:
 Ecuador and Galapagos Travel Non-Immigrant Visas
U.S. citizens and most citizens (except French) do not require a visa to enter Ecuador for up to 90 days. This tourist visa is known as the 12-X. If you're planning to stay more than 90 days, immigrating or working, you will need other types of visas as detailed below.
 Ecuador and Galapagos Travel Visas up to 90 days (Transeunte / Visitor, Visa 12-X)
Ecuador welcomes tourists and travelers from every country. United States citizens traveling to Ecuador for tourism, business, studies do not require a visa unless they expect to stay in Ecuador for more than 90 days in one calendar year (that is, 90 days adding every entry in one year). The only travel requirements are:


  • Valid passport for more than 6 months.
  • Return ticket (for air, land or sea travel).
  • Proof of economic means to support yourself during your stay in Ecuador (may be asked by Immigration authorities).
Nationals of the following countries require a visa and should approach the Consulate of Ecuador of their residence (list may change without notice): Algeria, Bangladesh, Costa Rica, Cuba, El Salvador, Guatemala, India, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Lybia, Nicaragua, Nigeria, North Korea, Pakistan, Palestine Authority, Panama, People's Republic of China, Sri Lanka, Syria, Tunisia and Vietnam.

If applying in the U.S., American citizens will have to produce their valid U.S. visa or residence permit and fill out an application form (requirements listed above, plus 2 photographs).

Foreigners traveling in these conditions may not take employment in Ecuador. VISA 12-X status cannot be changed in Ecuador.
 Ecuador and Galapagos Travel Visas for more than 90 days stay
Foreign nationals planning to stay in Ecuador for more than 90 days need to apply for a visa and must present the following documents:
  • Valid passport for more than 6 months.
  • Police certificate with criminal record of the State where she/he resides.
  • Medical certificate.
  • Return ticket (for air, land or sea travel).
  • Two photographs
  • Application form
  • Nationals of other countries applying for this type of visa in the United States must also present a valid US visa/green card.
Additionally, depending on the type of visa needed, the following requirements apply:
 Ecuador and Galapagos Travel Student Visa

1.Certificate of course registration in an educational institution in Ecuador.
2. Certificate of financial solvency (either a bank deposit of a reasonable amount to cover expenses –please inquire at the Consulate of your jurisdiction- with a letter stating the intention of the bank of forwarding to the student 10% of that amount per month or a document signed by a relative stating that the student is supported by his/her family; or a legal and duly notarized document indicating the student receives some other type of pension).

Validity: Up to one year; renewable.

Fee: $50 US. Except for citizens from Colombia, Paraguay and Spain.
 Ecuador and Galapagos Travel Professional, technician, consultant, legal representative, or
government official visas
  • Documents showing he/she is required to stay in Ecuador for work related purposes and that his/her stay will be supported by the company/agency.
  • Labor contract legalized by an Ecuadorian Labor Court.
  • Technical or specialized professionals or industrial training personnel need a working permit from the Ministry of Labor.
  • Managers, legal representatives, or executive officers, with also require a certificate from the Superintendency of Companies.
Validity: According to the appointment.

Fee: $50 US.
 Ecuador and Galapagos Travel Clergy, volunteer workers and other members of
religious organizations

  • Certificate of the religious organization where the applicant will work in Ecuador, explaining why a foreign person is required and a brief description of the tasks she/he will be assigned in Ecuador.
  • A copy of the Decree in which the Government of Ecuador authorizes the organization to work in the country.
  • A copy of the rules of the organization.
  • A copy of the document stating the appointment of the legal representative of the organization in Ecuador.
Validity:Two years.
 Ecuador and Galapagos Travel Cultural Exchange Visas
Teachers appointed to, or students participating in, exchange programs require:
  • Application from the Ecuadorian authority sponsoring the student/teachers visit.
  • A copy of the Agreement under which the program is carried out.
  • Teachers must sign a document stating that she/he will not receive any Ecuadorian funds for his/her work.
Validity: One year.
 Ecuador and Galapagos Travel Tourism, Business and other activities for more than 90 days
and Up to 180 Days
Foreigners who need to stay in Ecuador for over 90 days, for activities such as tourism, sports, studies, science and research, art, or business, will require:

  • Certificate of financial solvency to the satisfaction of the Consular Officer (either a bank letter stating the applicant’s monthly balance or a personal guaranty of an Ecuadorian citizen or a foreigner residing in Ecuador in a duly notarized document or a certificate stating the applicant’s income or any other document that proves the applicant has enough funds for his stay in Ecuador).
Validity:90 to 180 days.

Fee: $50 US. Except for citizens from Spain, Paraguay, Denmark and Colombia.
 Ecuador and Galapagos Travel Resident / Immigrant Visas
Foreign nationals may apply to settle in Ecuador and obtain the residence. Resident visas need to be approved by the Immigration Board in Ecuador, so upon correct presentation of all the documentation the process may take 4-8 weeks.

There are different categories, please inquire at the Consulate.

10-I Retired persons who receive pensions from their native countries (pension from a stable source, at least US$ 8,000 a year).

10-II Real estate and securities investors who are willing to invest in Ecuador the equivalent of at least 350 minimum monthly general salaries (S.M.V.G.), plus 100 SMVG per dependent, or amount specified by Consular Officer (in the US at least US$ 15,000).

10-III Investors in industry who wish to export agricultural products, livestock, or minerals, provided they bring capital the equivalent of at least 600 minimum monthly general salaries to Ecuador, or amount specified by Consular Officer (in the US at least US$ 25,000).

10-IV Companies with foreign local agents who possess unlimited power of attorney to represent the company in Ecuador, provided that 80% of the company's local personnel are Ecuadorian.

10-IVTechnicians or technical experts under contract with a company established in Ecuador.

10-V Professionals with university degrees recognized by a national university, who wish to practice their profession in Ecuador. Should the applicant's profession not exist in Ecuador, the degree must be locally certified. The applicant must also fulfill the requirements for such practice (e.g. bar).

10-VI Individuals economically dependent on spouses or on a blood­related family member (family).
Visa types:
Ecuador Travel Guide
Ecuador NGOs
Ecuador Spanish Lessons
Guayaquil, Ecuador "Pacific Pearl"
Salinas, Ecuador
Quito, Ecuador
Ecuador Travel Guide to the Galapagos Islands
Ecuador "Route of the Sun"
Projects in Ecuador
Ecuador Travel Guide
More about Ecuador:
Ecuador Coastline | Ecuador Andes | Ecuador Amazon | The Galapagos Islands
Ecuador Hotels | Ecuador Tours & Entertainment | Ecuador Shopping | Ecuador Travel Services | Ecuador Resources
Ecuador Business Opportunities

About Ecuador | Ecuador Regions | Ecuador Travel Useful Tips | Ecuador Immigration & Visas | Ecuador "best links"
Ecuador Museums | Ecuador History | Ecuador Health | Ecuador Weather | Living in Ecuador | Home Page
Hotels Ecuador Accommodation Ecuador
Ecuador-Travel guide to Ecuador and the Galapagos Islands
Search The Best of
Web The Best of
The Best of About UsThe Best of Contact UsThe Best of FeedbackThe Best of Link ExchangeThe Best of Legal NoticesThe Best of HomeThe Best of